- Unlimited entry
- Kids register for FREE
- Help fight extinction
Providing for the wellbeing of all animals in our care.
Just as the welfare of the world’s wildlife is paramount, so too it the welfare of the animals in our care. Our Animal Welfare Code sets out our animal welfare commitments and obligations.
We have a life-long duty of care to our animals and we are committed to ensuring that they are given the very best of care, provided with stimulation and housed in facilities that provide for their natural behaviours.
We have a robust welfare reporting system, provision of welfare training for staff, quarterly animal care reports and consultation with an Animal Welfare Peer Review Committee that includes independent representation from the RSPCA.
Learn about Zoos Victoria's enrichment plan for each of our species.
- Zoos Victoria strives to be an international leader of best practices in the care and wellbeing of animals, ensuring that we have appropriate infrastructure, expertise and capacity to maintain the dignity and wellbeing of all animals in our care at all times
- We will ensure that our wildlife response and rehabilitation practices for both animals in our care and animals brought to us are ethically sound and ecologically responsible
- We accept a life-long duty of care to our animals
- We promptly respond to, and assess any animal welfare concerns raised by staff or members of the community.
Animal welfare monitoring practices
Zoos Victoria’s Animal Welfare Policy and Procedures provide all staff with the resources to ensure the highest standards in welfare by providing for:
- Daily monitoring of animals and facilities
- Prompt delivery of animal health care for injury and disease
- Effective use of training, conditioning and enrichment programs
- Provision of species appropriate housing and nutrition
- Staff training and development
- Daily animal record keeping
- Compliance with animal welfare regulations and legislation
- Annual Animal Welfare survey
- Regular review of our practices by the Animal Welfare Peer Review Committee.