- Unlimited entry
- Kids register for FREE
- Help fight extinction
Take the Fighting Extinction Challenge: collaborate and take action
This is an innovative full day student-directed program. It highlights the impact humans have on the environment and Australian animals while supporting the development of ideas and actions students can take to help fight extinction.
The Fighting Extinction Challenge delivers a distinctly unique and powerful, active learning experience. It uses a hands-on approach in which students are truly immersed in the learning environment - a natural bush setting. The investigation of open ended questions encourages deep critical thinking, stimulates creative thinking and supports the development of wider connections in learning.
A 90 minute behind-the-scenes tour of our captive breeding programs can be booked in addition to this program. Please speak to booking officer for further information.
- Print the attached Data recording sheets (A3) for Primary or Secondary and the Sanctuary Map. You'll need one per group of two to four students.
Create your own community conservation campaign to help save wildlife. Visit Actwild.org.au for ideas and inspiration, then share what you have done with us at email@example.com and we'll put it up on Wild Activists.
While at Healesville Sanctuary:
- Check out our Tales of Platypus Creek show at 11.30am or 2pm
- Check out our Spirits of the Sky free-flight bird show at 12.00pm or 2.30pm
- Catch our new Fearsome to Awesome Reptile Show at 1.15pm
- Explore the Australian Wildlife Health Centre
- Keeper talks are a great way to learn firsthand about the challenges our wildlife faces from the people who dedicate their lives to animal protection.
The Fighting Extinction Challenge addresses AusVELS levels 5-8 standards. It supports the cross-curriculum priorities of Sustainability and addresses achievements in the domains of Science, Interpersonal Development, Personal Learning, Civics and Citizenship, English, Humanities, Communication and Thinking Processes.